You will love these tasty oat cookies with their blend of cranberry and cacao chip and their moreish chewy texture. Perfect to enjoy with a cup of tea on a rainy day! Or make as a "healthy" Christmas Cookie!
These oat cookies are a healthier version of the traditional chocolate chip cookie. They contain no refined sugar and are still just as delicious.
To keep the sugar content down I have used sugar-free dried cranberries in this recipe and cacao nibs so they are lower in sugar and to keep them dairy-free. Normal chocolate chips can, of course, be used in place of the cacao nibs 🙂
In this recipe, I have used wholegrain oats which gives the cookies a slightly darker colour but any oats can be used. Oats are not only nutritious but are great for soothing your digestive system and are such an excellent source of fibre. Oats are high in a particular type of fibre called beta glucan which is great for helping to lower cholesterol levels and for stabilising blood sugar. Avenanthramideshave is an antioxidant compound which is unique to oats and it is thought that it can help prevent free radicals from damaging LDL cholesterol therefore reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. Oats are also an excellent source of manganese and molybdenum, and a good source of phosphorous, magnesium, copper, vitamin B1, biotin, chromium and zinc.
*I have ground half of the oats in this recipe into oat flour using my food processor. This is a quick and cheap method of getting oat flour. If you don't have a food processor then store-bought oat flour will work just the same.
These cookies can also make a nice Christmas treat if you are an organised type who is already looking for edible foodie gifts for Christmas!
Or if you are looking for other healthy oat cookies for your family then you may like:
Banana, Pear & Oat Toddler Cookies
These oat cookies are super quick and easy to make so I hope you will give these a try. Please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Have a lovely week!
Chewy Moriesh Oat Cookies with Cranberries and Cacao Chips.
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbspn pure maple syrup
- 1 tspn natural vanilla essence
- 1.5 cups oat flour * I ground my own from oats, see note in blog post
- 1 cup wholegrain gluten free rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup dried cranberries - unsweetened
- ½ cup of cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F
- Combine coconut oil, egg, maple syrup, vanilla essence in a bowl and mix well.
- Combine the oat flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in another bowl and mix well and then add the dry ingrediants to the bowl with the wet ingredients.
- Add the cacao nibs and dried cranberries and stir through so that they are mixed through the dough mixture evenly.
- Place balls of the dough on a baking tray lined with baking paper, press down on the top of each ball of dough mixture with the bottom of a glass to gently flatten.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. Cooking time varies depending on cookie size you would like.