Sometimes on a rainy Sunday morning you just feel like something cosy like a cookie to have with your cup of tea. These Gluten Free Cranberry and Cacao Chip Oat Cookies fit the bill with the blend of cranberry and cacao which you will love and their moreish chewy texture.
These are a healthier version of the traditional chocolate chip cookie – of course! But these gluten free cookies are still mighty tasty and free of any refined sugar.
To keep the sugar content down I have used sugar free dried cranberries in this recipe and cacao nibs so they are lower in sugar and to keep them dairy free. Normal chocolate chips can of course be used in place of the cacao nibs 🙂
In this recipe I have used wholegrain oats which gives the cookies a slightly darker colour but any oats can be used. Oats are not only nutritious but are great for soothing your digestive system and are such an excellent source of fibre. Oats are high in a particular type of fibre called beta glucan which is great for helping to lower cholestrol levels and for stabilising blood sugar. Avenanthramideshave is an antioxidant compound which is unique to oats and it is thought that it can help prevent free radicals from damaging LDL cholesterol therefore reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. Oats are also an excellent source of manganese and molybendum, and a good source of phosphoropus, magnesium, copper, vitamin B1, biotin, chromium and zinc.
*I have ground half of the oats in this recipe into oat flour using my food processor. This is a quick and cheap method of getting oat flour. If you don’t have a food processor then store bought oat flour will work just the same.
These are super quick and easy to make so I hope you will give these a try. Please let me know how you get on 🙂 x
Serves About 15 medium sized cookies
Chewy Moriesh Oat Cookies with Cranberries and Cacao Chips.
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbspn pure maple syrup
- 1 tspn natural vanilla essence
- 1.5 cups oat flour * I ground my own from oats, see note in blog post
- 1 cup wholegrain gluten free rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries - unsweetened
- 1/2 cup of cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 180°C/400°F
- Combine coconut oil, egg, maple syrup, vanilla essence in a bowl and mix well.
- Combine the oat flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in another bowl and mix well and then add the dry ingrediants to the bowl with the wet ingredients.
- Add the cacao nibs and dried cranberries and stir through so that they are mixed through the dough mixture evenly.
- Place balls of the dough on a baking tray lined with baking paper, press down on the top of each ball of dough mixture with the bottom of a glass to gently flatten.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. Cooking time varies depending on cookie size you would like.