Gluten Free Chia Seed & Flaxseed Crackers – These delicious gluten free crackers are extra crunchy and go perfectly with your favourite dip or pesto or with your favourite topping as a healthy snack.
We are back from our awesome travels in Vietnam! Apologies for the delay in posting, traveling with a toddler is, well, busy, very busy! Now we are back I’m in dire need of some healthy snacks that are not…dare I say it… tropical fruit…or snacks made with rice. Nothing against delicious tropical fruit or rice, love them both dearly, but too much of a good thing and all…. In Vietnam like many places in South East Asia snacks tend to be sweet and I am missing my savoury healthy treats!
More details will be coming soon about our trip if you are interested but anyway on to these delightful little crackers….
I love these extra crunchy crackers as a healthy snack, they are so easy to make and are great for kid’s lunch boxes, snacks on the go or to serve with your favourite dips when you have friends around for some nibbles and wine.
Unlike the other paleo style crackers that are popular at the moment which are mainly made just from seeds, these taste a bit more like a traditional cracker (although a healthy version) due to the flour and egg used – which means kids love them too.
These crunchy little bites are packed full of healthy seeds which gives them an extra protein punch meaning that:
a) Your little ones (or you) will stay fuller for longer and not need to snack on so many of them because they taste so good or
b) There will be less need to snack on other less healthy treats – which is always a good thing!
The healthy seeds in these gluten free crackers contain zinc, magnesium, calcium, selenium and essential fatty acids, making these little bites a great way to get some more goodies into your little ones diet.
Tip – Once you have rolled the mixture out it can be quite hard to get the edges to look even, I wouldn’t spent too much time fussing about it, just pop them in the oven and even with some rough edges they still taste good!
I hope you enjoy this recipe x
Yields About 30 Crackers
Crunchy and healthy, the perfect snack or appetizer.
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 cup gluten free lour
- ½ cup flaxseeds
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 3 Tbspn sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbspn pumpkin seeds
- 1 egg
- 100ml water
- 2 Tbspn olive oil
- 1 tspn sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F
- Measure dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Add egg, olive oil and water and mix through mixture until it forms into a dough. It should roll into a large moist ball.
- Let the dough sit covered under a tea towel for about 30 minutes as this allows the chia seeds to absorb some of the moisture.
- Roll out the dough mixture between 2 layers of parchment paper. Roll until the mixture is around 4mm thick.
- Remove the top piece of parchment paper. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter score the dough into squares of around 40- 45mm.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the crackers are a light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool before breaking the crackers into squares.