Hot Smoked Salmon Salad with Egg & Mustard Potatoes – A delicious warm salad that can be enjoyed at any time of year! The tasty hot smoked salmon goes perfectly with crispy mustard potatoes, slightly oozy, runny egg, rocket, capers and chives, beautifully dressed with a lemon mustard dressing.
Did I mention the word….yum??? This salad is full of flavour and is not only delicious but very satisfying!
We have just enjoyed a nice long weekend for the Queens Birthday Weekend and I served this up for some guests and it went down a treat! The weather is swinging wildly at the moment making it a bit tricky to plan in advance what to serve guests…
In the past week we have experienced beautiful clear crisp days that can get rather hot in the sun and is a pleasure to be outside – to quite chilly days where you definitely don’t want to venture outside – to extreme rain and hail warnings! This hot smoked salmon salad is a nice “safe” dish to serve up for guests that covers all seasons!
Its safe to say that Auckland isn’t at its best over winter, its usually rain, rain and oh more rain! I’m currently dreaming of warmer pastures and thanking my lucky stars that I don’t have to go out and sit in rainy traffic today.
Hot smoked salmon is always something of a treat to me – I love it’s creamy texture and smoky flavour. It isn’t cheap and as it is so rich a small amount can go a long way. Add in some crispy potatoes (who doesn’t love them?) and oozy egg and salty capers you have brunch/lunch dish made in heaven!
If you are looking for some other salad recipes you may like to check out my Peanut-Miso Tempeh Salad Bowl or Roasted Pumpkin, Chickpea and Sundried Tomato Salad.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, please share if you do! Have a lovely week x
Love Food Nourish Nutrition Tips
Salmon is a great source of omega 3 essential fatty acids which are well known to have cardiovascular benefits, help with enhanced mood and cognition and joint protection. Eating your protein (salmon and egg) with some bitter greens such as rocket and a bitter dressing such as lemon can help get your digestive juices flowing and can assist your body in breaking down and assimilating the protein in your meal. This may be something you don’t care too much about, but I cannot tell you how important this is! Poor digestion was one of the most common things I used to see with clients in my naturopathic clinic.
When the body doesn’t digest protein properly this can contribute to food intolerances, hormone and thyroid issues and digestive problems among other things. Supporting a healthy digestive system by including bitter foods in your diet is a simple change you can make to your daily diet 🙂
A delicious and hearty hot smoked salmon salad with crispy mustard potatoes, egg & capers
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 650 gm /1.5 lb small roasting potatoes (I used Inca Gold for this recipe)
- 200 gm /7 oz hot smoked salmon
- 4 eggs
- 50 gm / 1.7 oz fresh rocket
- 1 Tbspn capers
- 1 Tbspn fresh chives
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/3rd cup olive oil
- 2 Tbspn wholegrain mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tspn sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Prepare the dressing.
- Wash the potatoes and chop into quarters. Place the potatoes into a roasting dish. Coat half of the potatoes with the mustard dressing. Place in the oven and cook for 20 min. Then turn potatoes coat with some more dressing if needed. Cook for another 20 min.
- While the potatoes are cooking place the eggs in a saucepan and fill with enough water to cover the eggs. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 4 minutes. Remove eggs and place in a bowl of cold water for a couple of minutes to stop the cooking process.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and lightly crush each potato with a fork.
- Arrange the rocket, cooked potatoes, hot smoked salmon on to a serving platter. Peel the eggs and roughly chop and add to the platter.
- Top with the freshly chopped chives and capers then drizzle the remainder of the dressing over the top.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.