Raw Gingerbread Cookie Bites…….yum! If you are a fan of gingerbread or anything ginger you will love these raw cookie bites and will be reaching for another one! They are soft and chewy on the inside, have a slight caramel flavour which goes perfectly with the delicious hint of ginger and Christmas spices. These raw gingerbread cookie bites are gluten free, contain no refined sugar and are paleo friendly.
I used to love gingerbread when I was a child so these are slightly reminiscent of traditional gingerbread except they require no baking! No bake treats are awesome in my opinion as they are so fast to make!
Unlike the traditional gingerbread cookie which is full of refined sugar and carbs leaving you hankering for more, these raw cookie bites are pretty darn filling due to their protein and healthy fat content.
Ginger not only tastes good but is an excellent anti-inflammatory, it contains carmitive properties so is great for soothing an upset stomach and can assist in the digestion of food. So quite a handy spice to include in our diet around the most indulgent season.
These delicious cookie bites are a great healthy sweet treat for kids for Christmas or they can make a perfect Christmas gift. I used to make this recipe as a type of bliss ball, but this time I have made them into Christmas shapes using a cookie cutter. If you don’t have have the inclination or time to do this then the balls taste just as good!
If the weather is getting warmer for you like it is for us here in New Zealand then I find it easier to pop the dough mixture in the freezer for 10 minutes before rolling out and cutting into shapes. This allows the dough to firm up and will enable you to cut out the cookies into into a cleaner shape without leaving as sticky mess.
I have lightly sprinkled almond meal over the top of these cookie bites to give them a more Christmasy feel. Coconut sugar could also be used.
I hope you enjoy this recipex
This recipe was inspired by Wholefoodsimply – Ginger Balls.
Yields About 25 cookie bites or balls
Delicious raw gingerbread cookie bites
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 cup pitted dates *Soaked - see note below
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 Tbspn ground ginger
- 1 Tbspn ground cinnamon
- 1 tspn natural vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tspn clove powder
- 1 Tbspn ground almond or 1 Tbspn coconut sugar to sprinkle on top - Optional
- Place all ingredients in the food processor and blitz until your form a smooth dough like consistency.
- Place dough on a plate and cover with a paper towel and put in the freezer for 10 minutes. Note - This step is optional but makes the dough easier to cut into shapes.
- Roll the dough out in between 2 layers of parchment or baking paper and cut into shapes using a cookie cutter. If you are only rolling into balls and not cutting into shapes then you do not need to roll it out just simply roll the dough into a ball.
- Optional - Sprinkle the cookie bites with a light dusting of ground almonds or coconut sugar. For the bites in the photo I have used ground almonds.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. These raw cookie bites can also be frozen
Soaking dried dates makes them easier to blitz in the food processor and blend into the mixture. This is not necessary if you are using the more expensive mejool dates. If you are using standard pitted dates then put the dates in a bowl and cover with warm water for 10 minutes. Then rinse the dates under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel before adding to the food processor.