No Bake Pina Colada Slice – This refreshing but oh so moreish gluten free slice is full of the delightful tropical flavour’s of pineapple, creamy coconut and lime.
Pineapple and coconut are two of my favourite flavour combinations, this Pina Colada slice is perfect for a sunny afternoon treat or slice into bite sized pieces for a lunchbox treat. Full of creamy tropical goodness without any refined baddies!
The protein and healthy fat content from the nuts and the desiccated coconut ensures that this slice not only tastes good, but you won’t need to be reaching for another one (unless you are my slice loving toddler) as it is pretty darn filling!
After making a fruit platter for a kiddie birthday party, I had half a pineapple left so decided to experiment by putting it in this slice. I was initially thinking of making a lemon slice but not liking to waste food I decided to use the remainder of my pineapple and was pretty pleased with the results!
It appears Master H was rather chuffed with my slice too….. I froze half of the remaining slice so as not to waste it, meanwhile he managed to break the child lock to the freezer by trying to force the freezer door open to get another piece while yelling “cake, cake!” I should feel flattered I guess? Hmmm…..He does like his food!
Love Food Nourish Nutrition Info at a glance:
- Pineapples contain an enzyme called Bromelain which has been shown to break down inflammatory deposits in the body making it beneficial for arthritis and other inflammatory disorders. Bromelain can also help break down protein into smaller deposits, making pineapple a good digestive aid.
- Pineapples are a good source of vitamin C, beta carotene, manganese, copper, vitamins B1, B6, B5 and folate.
- Coconuts are considered very nutritious. They contain vitamins C, B1, B3, B5, B6, vitamin E and are a good source of fibre. Their fat content is high in a substance called lauric acid which may help with immune system function.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, for other other raw sweet treats you may like to check out my raw raspberry tarlets, raw cranberry & chocolate truffles or creamy blueberry, cacao & coconut energy balls.
A delicious gluten free slice with the tropical flavour's of pineapple, coconut and lime.
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup dried dates, quick soaked*
- 1 tsp natural vanilla essence
- 1 cup chopped pineapple*
- 1 cup cashews, soaked*
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 Tbspn coconut cream
- 2 Tbspn desiccated coconut to sprinkle on top
- Blend the ingredients for the base in the food processor, blitz until all ingredients are combined and they reach a smooth dough like consistency. Place the base mixture in a lined baking loaf tin or silicone loaf tin and press down evenly, put in the freezer.
- Wipe the food processor quickly clean with a paper towel then add in the ingredients for the topping. Blitz until smooth.
- Remove the loaf tin from freezer and place the next layer on top and press down evenly, you may need to smooth it down with the back of a spoon.
- Freeze for 3 hours to set.
- Remove slice from freezer and sprinkle desiccated coconut over the top.
- Allow the slice to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before slicing with a sharp knife.
- Store in an airtight container in fridge for up to 4 days, can also be frozen and taken out as required.
*To soften the cashews you have two options: Either soak in cold water for 2 hours, or in boiling/very hot water for 10 minutes. Then rinse, drain and pat dry with a paper towel. *Soak dates in warm water for 10 minutes, rinse, drain and pat dry with a paper towel. *I used fresh pineapple but unsweetened canned pineapple can also be used.