This healthy broccoli salad is fresh, tasty and crunchy……topped off by a lush creamy dressing. No mayo and dairy free this salad is a healthier version of your traditional broccoli salad but still tastes delicious! This broccoli salad is Paleo, Whole30 and vegan making it suitable to take as a plate to most occasions.
I love easy to make, healthy salads and this one is exactly that. It has the perfect amount of crunch from the broccoli and sunflower seeds, a nice light hint of sweetness from the currants and some creamy goodness that balances it all off nicely from the avocado and creamy cashew dressing.
A few simple ingredients thrown together in a bowl but all mixed together they taste delicious! This healthy broccoli salad is perfect to serve as a side for dinner or enjoy as a healthy lunch. If you are prone to enjoying a more “healthy” festive table (like I am) then this can make a great dish to enjoy over the festive season.
Broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables, it not only tastes great but it is a good dairy free source of calcium and a good source of vitamins C and K. Broccoli also has liver detoxification and cancer fighting properties making it a vegetable with many health benefits.
However if you have thyroid issues you do need to be careful of eating too much raw broccoli or other raw cruciferous vegetables. It is best to lightly cook cruciferous vegetables which can help reduce their goitrogen content. Goitrogens are substances found in cruciferous vegetables that can interfere with thyroid function. They can disrupt the production of thyroid hormones by interfering with iodine uptake in the thyroid gland.
Additional Recipe Tips for making a Healthy Broccoli Salad.
This salad works best with either steaming or blanching the broccoli. Steaming the broccoli preserves the nutrients in the broccoli the best. Blanching is another quick cooking option that only slightly cooks the broccoli, this preserves its crunchiness and by plunging it into icy water you can preserve the bright green colour.
How to steam Broccoli
In a saucepan bring a couple of inches of water to the boil. Insert a steamer basket over the top of the water making sure the water does not seep through. Add the broccoli florets and cover with a lid. Turn down to a medium heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the broccoli is only slightly tender and still has its bright green colour. For this salad I like it to be quite crunchy so if you prefer the broccoli to be more tender cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
How to blanch Broccoli
Get a bowl, fill with cold water and add a handful of ice. Fill a pot with water, bring to the boil and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Add the broccoli florets and cook for 1.5 – 2minutes until only very slightly tender. Remove, drain the boiling water and plunge the florets immediately into the bowl of iced water. This halts the cooking process. Drain when ready to use.
For other tasty salads you may like to try:
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Have a lovely week!
Healthy Broccoli Salad with a Creamy Dairy Free Dressing
12 minPrep Time
3 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 cup broccoli cut into florets
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup dried blackcurrants
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 avocado chopped into small chunks
- 1/2 cup raw cashews *soaked
- 2 Tbspn water - Add more to get thinner consistency if desired
- 1 Tbspn almond milk unsweetened
- 1 Tbspn olive oil
- 1 Tbspn lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tspn nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add cashew nuts to a bowl and enough warm water to cover them, cover bowl and let them sit for 10 minutes while you make the rest of the salad. Alternatively you can use cashews that you have soaked overnight.
- In a saucepan bring a couple of inches of water to the boil. Insert a steamer basket over the top of the water making sure the water does not seep through. Add the broccoli florets and cover with a lid. Turn down to a medium heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the broccoli is only slightly tender and still bright green. Remove and set aside.
- Add the broccoli and all of the ingredients for the salad into a large salad bowl.
- Make the cashew dressing. Add the soaked cashews and the remainder of the ingredients into a high speed blender and blitz until smooth. If it is too thick add more water to get the consistency you desire. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix through the all the ingredients until they are all mixed up and have an even coating of dressing through the salad. You may have some dressing leftover, if so store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Other recipes you may like: