This is a colourful, tasty and healthy beetroot salad that is great for any occasion. The sweetness of the beetroot goes perfectly with creamy avocado and feta alongside the crisp baby rocket and quinoa. This colourful salad is topped off nicely by the added crunch of the mildly spiced walnuts and the freshness of the mint.
This tasty beetroot salad can be a healthy side dish or is a great salad to take to along to a BBQ this summer. If you are paleo then you can leave out the quinoa but you will need to add in another cup or two of rocket or any other lettuce that your prefer.
It is looking like we are in for a hot and humid summer here in NZ, so I am so excited that salad season is finally here! Using fresh and colourful produce to mix and match in any recipe is one of my favourite things, and that’s what salads are all about!
We have just harvested our beetroot for the summer and what better way to use it than to put it in a delicious beetroot salad!
We will be heading away camping which we do every summer and will see how that goes with our little boy. My busy toddler is going through a running away phase at the moment, so there may not be much sitting down going on……
And strangely enough I quite like sitting down at times…….especially when I am supposed to be on holiday!
Last year we had three attempts at camping all of which didn’t go too well….Extreme storms, flooding, baby with an tummy bug, a trip to A & E late at night resulting in having to abandon camp and stay in a hotel…etc etc …. you get the idea…
But no one can say we didn’t try right? This year it is going to be different – I just know it!
So back to the salad here is some nutritional info for those of you that like to know this stuff, and if not please skip down to the recipe!
Love Food Nourish Nutrition Info at a glance:
- Beetroot can help with the liver’s detoxification processes making beetroot an excellent vegetable to enjoy over the festive season. Beetroots have excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, are high in fibre and are a good source of folate, manganese, potassium, vitamin C and iron.
- Quinoa is a gluten free grain that is an excellent plant based source of protein as it one of the few plant based foods that contain all 9 essential amino acids. It is an excellent source of fibre and a good source of manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, folate, copper, iron and zinc.
- Avocados are an excellent source of healthy fats and contain around 20 vitamins and minerals making them very nutrient rich.
- Walnuts are a good source of vitamin E, omega3 fats, folate and antioxidants.
I hope you enjoy this beetroot salad recipe! Please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Have a lovely week!
A delicious & healthy salad that is full of flavour with beetroot, avocado, rocket, quinoa, spiced walnuts & mint.
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 medium sized beetroot
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tspn chinese five spice powder *
- 1 tspn olive oil for cooking walnuts
- 1.5 cups of baby rocket
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1/2 cup cubed goats feta *Optional
- 2 Tbspn sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbspn fresh mint
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbspn extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbspn balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced.
- Wash the beetroot and cut the ends off the beets then place in a steamer or a colander set on a saucepan with about 2 inches of simmering water. Steam for about 20 minutes until beets are tender when piercing with a knife. Remove and leave to cool.
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa before cooking. Put the quinoa in a saucepan. Pour in 2 cups of water. Cover and bring to the boil and then simmer for about 12-15 minutes until all of the water is absorbed. Then drain the quinoa to make sure any excess water is removed and place in a bowl.
- While the beetroot and quinoa are cooking prepare the rest of the salad.
- Lightly pan fry the walnuts in the coconut oil and sprinkle the chinese five spice powder over the walnuts to coat while cooking. Pan fry the walnuts for 2-3 minutes until light golden brown. Set the walnuts aside to cool on a plate lines with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Chop up the red onion, peel and slice the avocado and chop up the fresh mint.
- Peel the cooled beet's skin off with a vegetable peeler and cut each beetroot into halves, then each half into wedges.
- Mix the rocket leaves evenly through the cooked quinoa, then arrange the beetroot wedges and avocado evenly over the salad.
- Top with the spiced walnuts, goats feta, sunflower seeds and chopped mint.
- Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Chines five spice powder is a blend of cinnamon, cloves, star anise, fennel seeds and szechuan peppercorns that you can find in most supermarkets. Remove the goats feta to make the salad vegan.