This is a colourful, tasty and healthy beetroot salad that is great for any occasion. The sweet beetroot is a great match with creamy avocado and feta alongside the crisp baby rocket leaves, quinoa topped off with spiced walnuts and fresh mint.
This tasty beetroot salad makes a healthy side dish or is a tasty salad to take to along to a BBQ, potluck or picnic this summer.
Chock full of fresh produce, different flavours and textures this salad is a crowd pleaser and is great for entertaining.
It is looking like we are in for a hot and humid summer here in NZ, so I am so excited that salad season is finally here.....
Using fresh and colourful produce to mix and match in any recipe is one of my favourite things, and that's what salads are all about!
We have just harvested our beetroot for the summer and what better way to use it than to put it in a delicious beetroot salad!
We will be heading away camping which we do every summer and will see how that goes with our little boy. My busy toddler is going through a running away phase at the moment, so there may not be much sitting down going on......
And strangely enough I quite like sitting down at times.......especially when I am supposed to be on holiday!
Last year we had three attempts at camping all of which didn't go too well....Extreme storms, flooding, baby with an tummy bug, a trip to A & E late at night resulting in having to abandon camp and stay in a hotel...etc etc .... you get the idea...
But no one can say we didn't try right? This year it is going to be different - I just know it!
What to serve with this Beetroot, Avocado and Quinoa Salad.....
- This salad goes very well with grilled meat or fish or anything that is suitable for the BBQ.
- It is perfect for a shared picnic or potluck dinner and will go well with most other salads such as my loaded lentil salad, chicken mango salad, healthy broccoli salad.
- It can also be enjoyed as a standalone salad - make it into more of a meal with a poached egg on top.
Additional Recipe Tips for making this Beetroot salad.
- To make this salad paleo friendly then remove the quinoa and the feta. You may like to bump it out with more salad greens.
- Chines five spice powder is a blend of cinnamon, cloves, star anise, fennel seeds and szechuan peppercorns that you can find in most supermarkets. If you can't find this then gently cooking the walnuts with a tiny amount of cinnamon will work well.
- Remove the goats feta to make the salad vegan and or dairy free.
Here is some nutritional info for those of you that like to know this stuff, and if not please skip down to the recipe!
- Beetroot is thought to help with the livers detoxification processes making beetroot an excellent vegetable to enjoy when overindulging. Beetroots have excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties (1, 2, 2,) and are high in fibre and are a source of folate, manganese, potassium, vitamin C and iron (source).
- Quinoa is a gluten free grain that is an excellent plant based source of protein as it one of the few plant based foods that contain all 9 essential amino acids. It is a good source of fibre and of manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, folate, copper, iron and zinc (source).
- Avocados are an excellent source of healthy fats and are classed as a "superfood" as they are rich in various nutrients, minerals and vitamins and contain a unique collection of protective organic compounds like phytosterols, carotenoids, and flavonoids (source).
Other salad recipes you might like to try:
I hope you enjoy this beetroot salad recipe. Please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Pin for later!
A delicious & healthy salad that is full of flavour with beetroot, avocado, rocket, quinoa, spiced walnuts & mint.
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 medium sized beetroot
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tspn chinese five spice powder *
- 1 tspn olive oil for cooking walnuts
- 1.5 cups of baby rocket
- 1 avocado
- ½ medium red onion
- ½ cup cubed goats feta *Optional
- 2 Tbspn sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbspn fresh mint
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbspn extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbspn balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced.
- Wash the beetroot and cut the ends off the beets then place in a steamer or a colander set on a saucepan with about 2 inches of simmering water. Steam for about 20 minutes until beets are tender when piercing with a knife. Remove and leave to cool.
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa before cooking. Put the quinoa in a saucepan. Pour in 2 cups of water. Cover and bring to the boil and then simmer for about 12-15 minutes until all of the water is absorbed. Then drain the quinoa to make sure any excess water is removed and place in a bowl.
- While the beetroot and quinoa are cooking prepare the rest of the salad.
- Lightly pan fry the walnuts in the coconut oil and sprinkle the chinese five spice powder over the walnuts to coat while cooking. Pan fry the walnuts for 2-3 minutes until light golden brown. Set the walnuts aside to cool on a plate lines with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Chop up the red onion, peel and slice the avocado and chop up the fresh mint.
- Peel the cooled beet's skin off with a vegetable peeler and cut each beetroot into halves, then each half into wedges.
- Mix the rocket leaves evenly through the cooked quinoa, then arrange the beetroot wedges and avocado evenly over the salad.
- Top with the spiced walnuts, goats feta, sunflower seeds and chopped mint.
- Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Chines five spice powder is a blend of cinnamon, cloves, star anise, fennel seeds and szechuan peppercorns that you can find in most supermarkets. Remove the goats feta to make the salad vegan.