This easy to make Asian slaw is crisp, crunchy and full of Asian inspired flavour. This colourful slaw makes a very versatile side dish that easily compliments a variety of your favourite mains. Paleo and Whole30 friendly.
(This was originally posted April 2019)
This crunchy Asian slaw is a very simple side dish but one that you will want to enjoy again and again! Its tasty, healthy and colourful with a variety of different textures and flavours.
The crunchy vegetables, added optional chili and nuts all topped off by a sweet, salty, spicy dressing really make this slaw stand out.
Additional Recipe Notes for making Asian Slaw
- I really like a bit of spice in any Asian style salad so I have added some chopped chili, but if you are are feeding the whole family then keep the chili aside to sprinkle over the adult servings and the same goes for the dressing. You can easily split the dressing portion and stir some chili flakes in at the end for the adults.
- If you are following a Whole30 or Paleo diet then you will need sub coconut aminos for soy sauce and when sourcing the ingredients to make the dressing be sure to read the label to ensure there are no nasty additives or hidden sugars.
- I have used a blend of purple and green cabbage, purple cabbage not only gives this salad a lovely colour but is also high in antioxidants. You will need approximately ¼ head of each cabbage to make 2 cups of shredded unccooked cabbage for this slaw.
What should I serve with this Asian slaw?
Now obviously as the name suggests this slaw will go well with most Asian food, it will work well as a side dish alongside some barbecued meat such as my Thai Chicken Skewers or to serve along side a Asian style noodle dish such as this Vietnamese Prawn Noodle Salad.
You can also serve this Asian slaw as a main meal (it will serve less people obviously) and enjoy it with some grilled chicken, fish or prawns on top.
This slaw can also be made ahead for easy lunches.......Make a big batch of this salad to take for lunches in the week - keep it simple and add a can of tuna, salmon, pre-cooked shredded chicken, a boiled egg or stir through some chickpeas.
If you are looking for other tasty Asian inspired recipes you may like to try:
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Have a lovely week!
A crunchy Asian slaw with a full flavoured Asian style dressing.
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- ¼ cup spring onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh coriander/cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbspn sesame seeds (I used a mix of black and white)
- 2 red chilies, small, finely chopped *optional
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 Tbspn soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 Tbspn fish sauce
- 1 Tbspn sesmae oil
- 1 Tbspn olive oil
- ¼ tspn red chilli flakes *optional
- 1 tspn garlic, crushed *optional
- Place all of the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the dressing together.
- Toss the dressing through the salad just before serving.
This salad contains 7gm of net carbs per serving.