Easy to make chocolate banana nice cream! This nice cream recipe is rich, smooth, creamy and chocolatey - everything you want in an "ice" or nice cream. Lush, creamy, decadent and also dairy-free, refined sugar-free, Paleo and Vegan friendly.
This chocolate nice cream recipe is full of delicious wholefood ingredients, it is much healthier than your standard store bought icecream - it has no refined sugar, preservatives or colours added.
As nice cream is dairy-free it falls into the Vegan, Paleo and allergy-friendly categories which makes it suitable for most folk to enjoy!
This recipe really is very simple to make....No ice cream maker needed! Simply pop a few ingredients into your food processor or high-speed blender, blitz, freeze and it is ready to go!
I'm all about healthier treats, and this chocolate banana nice cream is definitely a family favourite with only the following simple ingredients:
- Raw cacao powder or cocoa powder if you prefer.
- Coconut cream
- Maple syrup
So with all that being said you may be thinking.....
Nice cream is a popular term that has been used over the last few years to represent a frozen treat that resembles ice cream. However, nice cream is fruit-based, Vegan, dairy free and free from any artificial colours, preservatives and added refined sugar.
The nice cream base is usually made from frozen bananas as they give a smooth creamy texture that resembles soft serve ice cream and bring a natural sweetness to the overall flavour. Other fruit can also be added depending on the desired flavour.
Additional Recipe Notes
- If you find cacao too stimulating for the younger ones in your family then you can easily substitute it with carob powder.
- I have added a couple of pinches of sea salt as I find this gives this nice cream a well-rounded flavour - it gives a hint of salted chocolatey goodness to the nice cream but it is very subtle.
The best type of bananas
It is best to use bananas that are well-ripened, ideally, you want them just as they are about to turn brown, they should be soft. Don't use bananas that are still slightly green, this will give the nice cream a completely different taste, you want the over-ripe ones for a sweeter taste.
Freezing the bananas
You should peel and slice the bananas and freeze for at least 2 hours or until they are solid. Store them in a ziplock plastic bag or airtight container to freeze.
If you want to keep the sugar content of your chocolate banana nice cream down you could use drops of stevia liquid instead of maple syrup. Bear in mind this will slightly change the flavour of your nice cream. When you have heated the coconut cream and added the cacao powder I would add anywhere between 5 to 20 drops of stevia depending on your taste buds. Start off with 5, stir and taste, and add more as desired. Remember that the bananas also add a sweetness to the end flavour.
Additional ingredients or toppings
You add chocolate chips, chopped nuts or coconut flakes to your nice cream for extra flavours and textures.
If you want to add chocolate chips or cacao chips and keep them as "chips" then add them at the end once you have blended the frozen banana through the cacao mixture. If you add the chocolate chips to the coconut cream mixture on the stove they will melt, this will give your chocolate nice cream an overall darker chocolatey flavour which you may like but they will not be chocolate chips anymore!
If you are looking for other dairy-free no-bake desserts or sweet treats you may like to try:
I hope you enjoy this chocolate nice cream recipe! Please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Have a lovely week!
- 3 bananas (use overripe bananas, chopped and frozen)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 4 Tbspn cacao powder
- 3 Tbspn maple syrup
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- cpl pinches sea salt
- ¼ -½ cup dark chocolate chips if desired.
- In a small saucepan gently heat up the coconut cream - don't let boil.
- Stir in the cacao powder until fully dissolved.
- Remove from the stove and stir through the maple syrup, vanilla, and sea salt.
- Place the frozen bananas into the food processor, pour the coconut cream mixture on top.
- Blitz until smooth and creamy. If you would like chocolate chips through your nice cream stir through now or just add on top when serving.
- Pour nice cream mixture into an ice cream container or an air tight container that has a lid. Place lid on top and freeze for 3-4 hours until solid.
- Leave your chocolate nice cream to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving. Top with chocolate chips, coconut or chopped nuts or sprinkles if desired.
- The time above includes the freezing time.
- There are detailed notes in the blog post please see for further instructions.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 285Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 9gSodium 21mgCarbohydrates 49gSugar 39gProtein 2g