Chicken, Avocado and Asparagus Salad with a Lemon Cashew Dressing – This chicken salad is fresh, healthy and super tasty! The succulent marinated chicken goes perfectly with the fresh greens, crunchy asparagus, lush avocado and a dairy free “creamy” lemon cashew dressing – all topped off by a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Sometimes I just feel like a simple meal that is full of green goodness! This salad ticks all of the healthy boxes with lovely fresh greens, a good serving of quality protein and healthy fats from the avocado and cashew nuts.
This chicken salad makes a lovely fresh meal that can easily be enjoyed for a simple night in but tastes good enough to serve to guests too!
The creamy lemon cashew dressing provides the perfect amount of tangy citrus flavour to balance off this salad nicely, it is completely dairy free but you wouldn’t know it as the dressing tastes lovely and creamy!
Love Food Nourish Nutrition Tips
This chicken salad will leave you feeling full and satisfied without feeling heavy and bloated afterwards. It is easy on the digestive system as it contains no carbohydrates, grains or legumes and is full of easy to digest bitter greens along with lemon and healthy fats that can help assist the sluggish of digestive systems! It is well known how nutritious avocados are but in addition asparagus is also a sometimes overlooked nutrient packed vegetable that contains an astonishing amount of nutrients, antioxidants and phytochemicals; making this a simple, tasty meal that is nutritious and healthy.
For other gluten and grain free chicken recipes you may like to try:
For other healthy salad recipes you may like:
Loaded Lentil Salad
Detox Buddha Bowl with Spicy Chickpeas & Cumin Cashew Sauce
Beetroot, Avocado & Roacket Quinoa Salad with Spiced Walnuts & Mint
Peanut-Miso Tempeh Salad Bowl with Cashew Nuts
Roasted Pumpkin, Chickpea and Sundried Tomato Salad with Goats Feta
Sweet Potato Salad with Pomegranate, Feta & Pecans
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Have a lovely week!
Additional Recipe Notes
How to blanch asparagus
To blanch the asparagus bring a pot of water to the boil and place the asparagus covered in the pot for anywhere from 1-3 minutes depending on how well you like your asparagus done. Cook the asparagus for 1 minute for al dente (firm and slightly crisp and crunchy) up to 3 minutes for tender and soft. You can test by pulling out a stem and feeling for your preferred texture. Once blanched drain and plunge the asparagus into icy cold water. This stops the cooking process and helps preserve the beautiful green colour.
I like my asparagus al dente, this works well in this salad as the crunchiness of the asparagus compliments the creamy avocado. In the recipe below have cooked the asparagus for only 1 minute before plunging into icy cold water.
A fresh and healthy green salad with chicken, avocado and asparagus topped off by a creamy lemon cashew dressing.
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 400 gm/14 oz chicken breast (Approx 2 small chicken breasts, pound or split if they are thicker than 2cm or 4/5")
- 1 Tbspn coconut oil for cooking
- 3 Tbspn olive oil
- 2 Tbspn lemon juice
- 1 tspn garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tspn turmeric *optional
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 1/4 tspn fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3rd cup cashew nuts, soaked*See instructions
- 4 Tbspn water
- 1 Tbspn almond milk or other nut milk
- 1/2 tspn garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tspn turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- 100gm/3.5oz rocket or other salad greens
- 1 avocado
- 250gm/8.8oz asparagus (approx 1 bunch)
- 2 Tbspn sesame seeds
- 2 Tbspn fresh flat leaf parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and mix together, place the chicken breasts in the bowl and coat evenly in the marinade. Cover and leave for 30 min - overnight.
- Add cashew nuts to a bowl and enough warm water to cover them, cover bowl and let them sit for 15 minutes while you make the rest of the salad.
- Melt 1 Tbspn coconut oil in a cast iron pan on a high heat. Once the pan is very hot turn the pan down to a medium heat. Cook the chicken breasts for about 5 minutes on each side so that they are are golden brown on the outside. Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken when you have a couple of minutes left to cook. Remove the chicken and set aside to rest while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Place the soaked cashew nuts, water, almond milk, garlic and turmeric in a high powder blender or food processor and blitz until smooth and creamy. Add more water if you would like a thinner consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Trim the woody ends from the asparagus and cut the remaining asparagus in half. Add the asparagus and blanch for 1 minute. Drain and plunge into a bowl of icy cold water.
- Arrange the rocket over plates or a platter, slice the avocado and arrange place this and the asparagus over the rocket.
- Once rested slice the chicken, and add to the salad. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, parsley and salt and pepper. Drizzle with the lemon cashew dressing and serve.
The prep time does not include the marinade which can be left anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight for maximum flavour. A cast iron pan with ridges works best to grill the chicken. The asparagus in this salad is cooked al dente - for more information on blanching asparagus see the additional recipe notes.