Chicken with Cannellini Beans and Thyme – This is a tasty home cooked rustic meal that is so easy to prepare, simply put all of the ingredients in one dish and pop in the oven!
The tender chicken is golden and crispy on top which goes nicely with the creamy white beans, veggies and thyme. All of these components soak up the smoky flavours of the marinade making this a simple dish that is full of flavour.
I love the creamy nutty texture that cannellini beans have when they are cooked, they also soak up any flavours which makes them a great accompaniment to add to any dish where there is a marinade. This dish is comfort food at its best while also being an easy meal to throw together that guests will love.
Our kitchen is currently being ripped out – which means a new kitchen is on the way – this is very exciting and long awaited for! Thankfully our oven is still standing and plugged in. Despite the various disarray around the kitchen I can still happily make simple one dish meals like this one.
Any meal that you can pop in the oven, set the timer and leave is a winner in my house. Particularity around Master Toddler – he still loves to be involved with any pots and pan action in the kitchen – which isn’t always a good thing!
This rustic chicken dish makes a nice meal for any season. I am still feeling like cosy meals at the moment, although Summer is approaching and the weather is improving…slowly…very slowly….we still seem to have a constant chilly wind and rather a lot of rain!
This is an easy to make family meal for any time of the year – it can be enjoyed on its own or for the warmer months serve with some fresh salad greens. For a hearty winter meal it can be served with some roasted potatoes or steamed greens.
For other one dish meals you may like to try:
Mediterranean Baked Chicken with Eggplant, Zucchini, Olives & Basil
Or for other healthy comfort food recipes you may like:
Nutty Eggplant, Chickpea and Kale Curry
Roasted Red Pepper, Tomato & Lentil Soup
Hot Smoked Salmon Salad with Egg & Mustard Potatoes
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Have a lovely week!
Love Food Nourish Nutrition Tips
- Cannellini beans are an excellent source of protein, fibre and are a good source of b vitamins, zinc and potassium.
- Chicken and white beans such as cannellini beans are high in tryptophan which is great to boost your mood! Tryptophan is an amino acid that is the precursor to serotonin which is needed for a stable mood and healthy sleep patterns.
- Having some fresh bitter greens such as rocket with a splash of fresh lemon juice as a side dish is great for helping the body digest a high protein meal such as this one.
A simple rustic dish with marinated chicken, cannellini beans and thyme.
25 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 4 Tbspn olive oil
- 3 Tbspn tamari or soy sauce
- 2 Tbspn balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 large carrot, washed and cut into circles
- 1 can (400gm/15oz)canellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 medium white onion, roughly chopped into chunks
- 1 handful fresh thyme (roughly 1/2 cup)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 2 cups salad greens to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F
- Prepare the marinade for the chicken. Place the chicken in a large dish and pour over half of the marinade over the chicken ensuring evenly coated. Place the other half of the marinade aside. Cover the marinated chicken and place in the fridge for 20min to 2 hours depending on how much time you have.
- While the chicken is marinating chop the onion and the carrot.
- Place the marinated chicken in a large baking dish. Arrange the cannellini beans, carrot and onion in between the chicken thighs. Pour the remaining half of the marinade over all of the ingredients in the dish. Roughly scatter the sprigs of thyme on top of the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve alone or on a bed of salad greens.
This will make 4 large servings if served alone. If served with a side dish it will serve 8 people. The nutrition information below is based on a serving size of 4.