Apple and Plum Crumble - This is a simple dessert that is comfort food at its best! Delicious spiced apples and plums, topped off by a crunchy nut topping that is gluten free, grain free, dairy free and paleo. This fruit crumble makes a tasty dessert that is easy, healthy and satisfying!
I love easy desserts and this apple and plum crumble is certainly that! You really can't go wrong and many of the ingredients can be swapped about for another one so this dessert is a great way to use up what you have got in your pantry. The sweetness of the apples goes well with the slightly sharp but sweet plums and gives the crumble a gorgeous pink colour.
As far as desserts go this fruit crumble is pretty healthy! I have kept the added sugar to a minimum as I find the fruit and the cinnamon already give the dessert a mild sweetness. This also means you can warm it up the next day for breakfast without feeling too guilty!
In our garden we have a rather small Louisa plum tree. Despite the size of the tree it has been producing plums like crazy in recent weeks. We can't eat the plums fast enough so I have been busy making as many plum recipes that I can get my hands on - such as this one...
If plums are not in season for you at the moment then they can easily swapped out for another fruit of your choice. Pears, peaches, nectarines, apricots or berries can be good alternatives. If you would like the crumble to still have the gorgeous pink colour then raspberries (fresh or frozen) can work well and still provide the slight sharpness which goes well with the apples. Pecans or chopped macadamia nuts can also be used in place of walnuts and almonds.
For other gluten free and paleo dessert recipes you may like to try:
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Have a lovely week!
Additional Recipe Notes
Granny Smith apples are commonly used in fruit crumbles - in this crumble I have used royal gala apples, these are naturally sweeter and I find go well with the slightly sharp flavour of the plums without having to add a lot of extra sugar. Once you have softened the fruit and added the spices then taste the fruit and add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter dessert.
Delicious spiced apple and plum crumble with a crunchy nut topping.
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 4 apples, medium sized
- 8 plums, large
- 1 tspn coconut sugar
- 1 tspn ground cinnamon
- ¼ tspn ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tspn ground clove
- 1 cup almond meal or almond flour
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2 Tbspn coconut sugar
- 1 Tbspn coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C/355°F.
- Half and stone the plums and then roughly chop the apples removing the core. I left the skin on for both the plums and the apples. Place the fruit in a saucepan with the spices, cover and simmer on low 5-10 minutes until the fruit is soft.
- In a large bowl place the almond meal, coconut sugar and coconut oil. Rub between your hands until it resembles bread crumbs. Add half of the walnuts (½ cup) and mix through evenly.
- Place the fruit in an ovenproof serving dish, top with the crumble mixture then place the remaining ½ cup of walnuts and the sliced almonds on top.
- Bake for 15-20 min until golden brown on top.
- Serve with yogurt, icecream or coconut yogurt or dairy free icecream for dairy free alternatives.